Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Interview with Nat from Reading Romances

Today I am speaking with Nat from the Book Blogging site, Reading Romances! She will be talking to us about what makes a good romance novel, her pet peeve when dealing with authors, and Sex in Romance... 



When did you start Reading Romances?
I started it 3 months ago. Seems like it's been so long because it's such a hard job to blog!


You read predominantly romance novels. Are there any genres of books that you will make an exception for when doing a review?
Yes. I believe it's a case by case analysis. Of course, romance is my favorite, but I also like sci-fi, art books..I don't judge a book by its cover, publisher, or even genre. If I like the blurb, I'll read it. I have to focus on romance. That's what the blog is about. But that doesn't mean I won't read other things from time to time.


There are many book bloggers who are also authors on the side. What do you think about that? Are you planning on writing a book anytime soon?
I think it's a great tool to use when promoting their books, getting closer to the audience, other authors etc. It's a place they can use their love of writing to express and say things apart from the books. It's an amazing place to get to know who's behind the book. And no, I don't have any plans on writing a book. I have written one last year, but it was for my graduation project. It's my baby. The funny thing is, I like reading fiction but I wouldn't be able to write it.


How much time do you spend reading books that authors are expecting to be reviewed? 
I review for a few places, so I usually have 3 or 4 books to review per week. I try to read everyday, even if I only have 20 min to read. 


What is your BIGGEST pet peeve when it comes to dealing with authors and/or their books?
 I don't really like when they say, "Oh, and when you finish, post it on amazon, barnes & noble, goodreads(...)". Without even saying "please". I try to do my best to post my reviews out there, but it's not a duty or something I HAVE to do. When I have the time, I'll mirror the review where I can. It's something nice I do for the authors to spread the word about their book.


Have you ever dealt with a really disrespectful author and decided to say "FUDGE YOU" and not review their book?
No, thank god! If they're direspectful I will continue treating them with respect, but I will stop reviewing their book. 


What's your schedule looking like right now? Have a lot of books waiting for you to dive in?
I have a full schedule till the end of July! I didn't count how many, but I read at least 12 books a month.I'll be hosting a few tours and I have some nice books ahead, I can't wait!


Are you ever been offered money to review a book?
No, and I would be offended if that happened.


Phew, I'm glad i didn't offer you that 50 cents!
LOL!


What color are your toe nails?
Grey!


If you weren't book blogging, what would you be doing?
Hmm...I would probaby be reading! LOL. Blogging is a consequece of my addiction, I love it!


What's the last thing you ate?
Chicken!


What is a complete deal breaker when reviewing a book? What would make you rate a book DNF or "Did Not Finish"?
I need to be interested about the story or it won't work. I don't have a "DNF" rating, I will rate the book based on what I managed to read, but I'll state that I couldn't finish reading it and why it happened. I believe that a "DNF" book needs to be rated aswell, sometimes it's a great book but it isn't for me.


What's the lowest rating you have ever given a book? 
I have given a "1 heart" once or twice. I don't like having to do that, but I need to be honest. Usually they're books that frustrated or annoyed me to no end.


Do you get a lot of book review requests for books that you say, "This is total crap!"? How do you deal with that? Do you tell the author that you think their book is crap? Or do you read it and review it as being crap?
The "This is total crap" thing never happened to me, but I've read blurbs out there that are just terrible. I only review books that I believe I'll enjoy. If the blurb isn't something that made me interested I'll politely tell the author that It's not something I would like.


You're so awesome for doing this! Anyway...
Haha, you're amazing!


There is a man about to be hanged in front of a crowd of people. The man that is about to do the hanging tells the people in the crowd that he will not hang the man if someone in the crowd is related to him. One man out of the crowd stands up and says, "I'm related to that man!" The man about to do the hanging asks him, "How?" The man in the crowd says, "Sisters and brothers, I have none. But that man's father is my father's son!" How is he related to the man about to be hanged?
What is this?? Logical excercise? LOL.. He's the guy's uncle? Oh no, he's his dad?


You read romance. What in your opinion makes the perfect romance novel?
It needs to have an amazing chemistry between the hero and heroine, fantastic dialogue and a happy ending.


How do you feel about sex scenes? Can there be romance without sex? Does it bother you when a romance novel has no sex? What makes a really good sex scene?
Sex is a consequence most of the time. When reading erotica, it's the means to an end. It doesn't bother me when there's no sex involved, but the premise of the book can't lead the reader to imagine that there will be sex scenes or it can be very bad for the book. A good sex scene isn't about "what he's doing, what she's doing, where is what", it must focus on the feelings. And of course, it can't be an empty scene, it has to matter and change the relationship between the characters.


Is there a sub-genre of romance that you will never read? For example (even though this isn't technically a sub-genre in my opinion), does it matter to you if it is gay/lesbian?
Suspense is something that doesn't appeal to me. Some people write BDSM as a category, I don't know if it's appropriate, but it's definitly something that needs to be clear to the readers. I don't read BDSM, but gay and lesbian romance are just fine. I have to say that m/m isn't my favorite.


Okay, STUPID QUESTION #1: When people say S&M they mean sadism and masochism?
LOL, yes.


Would you believe I thought it meant Sex and Masks? Or something like that. I could've always googled it!
HAhahaha, that's why google is out there!


What is your opinion about self-pub vs traditional pub?
I believe that traditional publishing will have to change, they'll need to give more power to authors in order to survive. Self publishing has a few problems too, but I think that's the future. You can see it's growing very fast.


What advice can you give someone who is looking into being a book blogger?
It's not easy to blog! You'll spend a lot of time blogging, and less time reading.The first month is the hardest one, but then things get a little easier and you'll have a comfortable and balanced schedule.


How can authors get in contact with you if they want you to review their book?
They can go to http://readingromances.wordpress.com and read my review policy page. From there they can fill out the form or email me at readingromances.contact@gmail.com 

Thanks for the interview, Nova!



You are so welcome, NAT!

*If there are any romance authors out there that are in need of an honest review of their book, do not hesitate to contact Nat from Reading Romances. Just don't offer her any money for it...She'll kill you!*

Follow Nat on Twitter: @readingromances
Check out her blog: http://readingromances.wordpress.com



COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!

INTERVIEWS WITH...

CHARLOTTE BLACKWELL from charlotteblackwell.blogspot.com

MDVBOOKREVIEWER from maldivianbookreviewer.com


Natasha Larry from paranormalwire.blogspot.com

STACEY O'Neale from yafantasyguide.com


ROBYN from robolobolynsuniverseofbooks.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Nova, I loved it!
    But I think I'm better interviewing that being interviewed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That was a great frickin interview. Oh, it made my day. You two are great together. Thank you for sharing. I'll try to rustle you up some followers right fast!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol LARRY you are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had an author do that to me before too, telling me where I should post things without so much as a please or thank you. AND then they went so far as to correct one little bitty spelling mistake in my review! Like you, though, I didn't let my dislike for this author cloud my review.

    Great interview though! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. LoL...I've actually had authors tell me WHAT to say...I know if I'm ever that room, Nova and a few of my other blogging/writing buddies will punch me in the face. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you know I would hun! lol

    Gosh you guys are so freaking fab! LET'S ALL GO TO VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    *crickets*

    *slowly backs out of room*

    ReplyDelete