Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Interview with the Maldivian Book Reviewer

Today's interview is with the MALDIVIAN BOOK REVIEWER herself! She is soo awesome and I'm happy for her to be here! Read on below to find out what book she'll never review, her favorite foods, and how low she'd go for a million dollars!

I am so excited since this is the first time I have been asked to do something like this. Thank you for giving me a once in a lifetime opportunity! On to the questions:

How long have you been book blogging?
I started blogging on a whim on July of 2009 to keep track of the massive amounts of books that I read every year. My book review blog is the first of its kind in my country and am proud to have taken the initiative and moved forward with something that is fun and something that I have become addicted to as much as reading!

What is it about romance that just does it for you?
Mmm.. good question. I have been a voracious reader from a young age, back when I didn't even know romance was a genre. But as I grew into my teens I found myself more and more fascinated with the world of romance. Maybe its because of all the emotional upheaval that I go through with romances and of course the hotter than sin heroes that just make it all worthwhile in the end. People scoff at romances saying that its the same thing over and over again in each and every book but for me, romance writers are the true gems of writers because they make something universal i.e. falling in love; stand out and extraordinary by putting two people together and making it work in the most glorious way possible!

So are you a happy ending kind of girl? Do you like it when the guy gets the girl in the end or vise versa?
Oh, I am definitely a happy end kind of girl. That's why I stay away from books that have bittersweet endings unless I can't help it. I have read only two novels with bittersweet endings to-date and all the rest have been happy endings and that should tell something in itself! *grin* 

Hmm...I actually like sad endings. What does that say about me? Hmm... Oh well...

What is your WORST experience when dealing with an author looking for a review?
Well, I haven't had a bad experience per se but I did once accept a book to review, found myself completely restless with how the story was proceeding and had to give up reading half way through. I felt really bad about it but I couldn't review something I couldn't finish reading.

I think it's good to know that you guys have emotions. Most authors thing you book bloggers don't feel anything. Most authors don't even believe you guys are real humans... Anyway...

On your twitter, you say that you are a "TV series ho". If you had it in your power to bring one TV series back on the air if only to take a TV series off the air that is currently on the air, which ones would they be?
I really loved the series Forgotten which premiered on September 2009. The show was aired for only one season and I was really sorry to see it go because I believe the show had great potential.
So I would love to see The Forgotten come back on air once again and if I see another episode of One Tree Hill it would be too soon. *ducks for cover*

*Virtual high five!* I'm so with you on that. I don't even know what One Tree Hill is about. But I do know that it has a lot of winey teen/adults in it that either have very small problems stretched into a whole episode and made to seem bigger than they really are, or really big problems that get resolved way too quickly and don't reflect real life at all. 

How often do you give negative reviews?
I refrain from saying overly negative stuff about books that I review. I try to provide constructive criticism and unless the book falls totally flat for me in every way and turned out to be a HUGE disappointment, I don't give negative reviews. But I do rate my books accordingly based on my level of enjoyment so visitors would know whether I loved a book or not.

What is one genre that you will NEVER consider reading or reviewing?
Autobiography and memoirs

I love how you basically just said you don't care at all about a person's life journey or crappy memories. LOL!

What would make you say NO to a book review request?
I try and entertain as many review requests as possible. And before I do accept them for reviewing I read through the blurb and find out whether the book is of an area of interest to me. If it is I say yes, if not I would have to regretfully decline. And yes, gay romances are a definite NO for me. My apologies if I have offended anyone by saying so.

To each their own.

Favorite food?
This is a tricky one. Since I am from the Maldives, most people wouldn't even know what I am talking about if I start talking about Maldivian cuisine. Basically I love good food! And lets just say a double cheeseburger sounds really good right now.

Please tell us some Maldivian cuisine! I've never met anyone from the Maldives before. Okay scratch that, I never even heard of it. (please don't strangle me. I promise I'm going to do some research on it and tweet random facts about it all day). 
Haha! Well you aren't the only one who doesn't I suppose. But Maldives is pretty famous for its tourism. The beaches here are amazing and if you ever need a vacation you need to come here ASAP! LOL!
That being said, Maldivian cuisine mostly consists of fish though it has become a mix of cuisines of late. So my favorite local cuisine consists of white steamed rice, thick fish paste, very hot chilli, and lime pickle! Add into it some fried drumstick leaves would make it one very yummy dish!  

You are making me soooo hungry right now. That sounds so good and I LOVE spicy food. And I'm going to google pictures of this stuff! 

Do you believe that book bloggers like yourself have the ability to make or break writing careers?
No, I wouldn't go that far. But reviewers do impact a certain group of readers who NEED a book to have received great or good reviews before they can proceed with reading the book. But there are others like myself who do not really care about what other reviewers have to say because I form my own opinions when it comes to books. So yes, reviewers like myself do impact a certain group of readers but I do not think to the extent of making or breaking an author's career.

Most book bloggers have a lot of influence on their followers. Most likely if they give a book a low rating, their followers probably won't buy it. Now imagine if that book blogger has a huge following... YIKES! But good for us...the same can be said the other way around for positive reviews!

What is your schedule looking like right now?
Well, since I work full-time as well, there are certain time constraints with reading and reviewing if work is hectic and busy. Since I have been on leave the last couple of days, I have caught up a lot on my reading. I have around 7 ARC reviews that I have to publish within the next month and around 3 pending review requests which I hopefully will be able to finish off within July as well. This is in between my self challenge of reaching Hawke's story in Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series of which I have read and reviewed book 2 up till now!

You really have a lot on your plate. How do you do it?
Oh well! I guess since I don't have kids of my own yet, after work my time is completely my own. Once I am well into a book, I can snap the head off of anyone who dares intervene *yeah I am ferocious that way*. But sometimes there goes by a lot of days without me being able to read even a couple of pages of a book and I start having withdrawal symptoms. 
Mostly because I love reading, I just find time in between and read. So I don't really think about it I guess. 

What book are you currently reading now?
I just finished reading Man Law by Adrienne Giordano and loved it. Haven't started on any other book yet though there are a couple of good books awaiting my consideration.

Is that one of the books you are going to review or was that a "you time" read?
Man Law is from my ARC pile. I request for ARCs on Netgalley from time to time and get pretty decent reads out of them. And this one was definitely a fun, fun read!

You blog about books but would you ever consider writing one of your own?
*Sigh* That question reminds me of one of my English tutors when I was quite young who encouraged me to write a novel and he of course told me he would help me publish it. Even now, from time to time I think about it but I guess I am just a trifle bit too lazy to open a word document and start typing away!

RIDDLE TIME: Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.
Third word: Language?

You think you're so smart, huh!

What are a few things that you wouldn't mind telling people about yourself if it would help better understand your review process?
I have come a long way since I started reviewing books in 2009. Back then, I just read to my heart's content and wrote down everything that I felt and if I was satisfied with the post, I just published it.
But my reviewing process has evolved with time and from using a Kindle to read, I have moved on to using an IPAD because its easier for me to simultaneously read and take notes as I go along. As I read, I jot down how I feel about the characters, the important history/background of the characters etc. which all help me when I eventually sit down to write the review.
For me, I write the review as soon as I am done with reading the book. Otherwise I would tend to forget the important tidbits if I keep it for later. And yes, I bookmark all those pages that contain great quotable material for my review.

If you had the opportunity to commit a crime that you were absolutely POSITIVE you could get away with, what would it be?
I really have no idea! I really am stunned that I can't think of anything!

Or... it's such a crazy crime that you're embarrassed to say it! No need to respond. I get it. I understand.

How low would you stoop for a million dollars?
As low as it requires me to pick up the notes? Haha! Seriously, I don't think I would stoop to doing anything shady for a million or even a billion dollars.Yeah I know, I am boring that way. LOL!

No not boring at all! Scroll up and read this interview and then think again missy!

For authors wanting to contact you, how could they do it? What's your info?
All my contact details can always be found on my website http://www.maldivianbookreviewer.com
And for those who wish to contact me for reviews or just to say hi, you can always drop in a line at maldivianbookreviewer@gmail.com.
And I can be found on twitter @mdvbookreviewer and on Goodreads as well!

Once again Nova, many thanks for the opportunity! This has certainly been a fun experience!

You are so welcome!

4 comments: